Clifftop

Clifftop

Thursday, July 14, 2011

yet another day

The croquet tournament turned out to be awesome.  As stressed out as I was, I actually had a pleasant time.  34 people signed up to play and there were about a dozen spectators.  It turned about to be a lovely afternoon.  A member of our sponsor's team ended up winning and everyone kept telling us what a nice time they had.  So there will definitely be one next year, if anyone is interested in signing up!

Billy and Bethanne came for the weekend/week.  I was hella busy Saturday and Sunday, so they did their own exploring: Beartown, Cranberry Glades, napping on my front porch.  After the tournament on Sunday, we went to the river for a swim because it was quite a warm day.  Cody has never been a water dog.  But we wanted to join us sooo bad.  He would stick his paw in the water and then pull it out and shake it off and act like a little sissy.  He would sit on the side of the bank and whine until finally he got the courage to get into the water up to his chest, but he was not happy about it.  The whole time he had a look on his face as if it were pure torture.  For him, I guess it was. 

Monday we decided to do some geocaching.  I'm tired of trying to explain it to people so here's a good explaination.  It's a cool way to use technology to get into nature.  Anyways, I always forget I live in a third world country and there's very little signal out here, so the first one we tried to do didn't work.  It was along the High Rocks Trail, so at least we got a sweet hike in.  The second one we tried actually worked, but when we found it, it had been ripped apart by some animal.  I'm gonna go with a bear.  Everything inside was pretty much destroyed and in pieces.  I'm planning on going back to replace it.  It was on a trail near the Nature Center and it was at the sight of an old prison that was used from the 30s-50s.  They had a bunch of interpretive signs and it was actually really interesting.  The prison didn't have an outside wall and the prisoners had a lot of freedom.  One of the privileges was that on Sundays, they took hiking trips around the area.  They could also work in a carpentry shop and sell the things they made or give them to family members.   Sounds a lot different than prisons today.

PS. watched The King's Speech.  Everyone should see that movie.  It's awesome. 

Working alone again today.  I thought I heard someone come in the front door, but I didn't notice any car in the parking lot.  I walked to the front rooms and no one was there, so I was about to walk outside on the front porch when I noticed out old friend, the groundhog, right there, looking like he wanted to walk in the house and get a tour.  I about peed my pants.  He just kinda looked at me as if to say "I'd like the senior discount please."  I made some kind of growl at him, thinking he'd be scared and run away.  But he just looked at me like I was a lunatic.  I opened the door and ran at him and he scampered off under the porch.  The rest of the day, I kept hearing noises.  He was coming out of the porch and eating the grapes off the vine.  I walked out there and said something to him, but that didn't phase him.  He is clearly not scared of people.  Or rather, not scared of me.  

I've found myself in a funk for the last week or so.  Stress from work and the same old routine everyday is wearing on me.  Happily, I've been working on the mandolin more.  My fingers are growing some kick ass calluses and I think I'm improving.  I even taught Billy a couple of chords.  Also, one of my buddies lent me a bicycle and finally got around to dropping the seat down, so yesterday I went for a bike ride down the River Trail and it was awesome.  Cody didn't much think so: he couldn't keep up very well.  I biked about 4 miles and then later yesterday I jogged about 3 miles.   That's right bitches, I'm "athletic" now.  I gotta work off all the beer I've been drinking.

On a final note, I have yet another visitor this weekend.  My cousin Rachel, hailing from Pitt, will be here Saturday and Sunday.  Haven't seen her in quite a while and a get together is much over due. 
I will say this though, after she comes, no one is allowed to visit me until August.  I love yall and everything, and West Virginia is awesome, but stay the hell home!  I'll be out of town next weekend anyways.  August reservations are filling up fast, got more cousins coming and peeps from Athens.  Start telling me some dates, people, because I can't promise that I'll have room on my floor for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment