Clifftop

Clifftop

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Where is America's coolest small town?

I believe that some people come into our lives to challenge us, or as I like to put it, piss us off.  I understand that not everyone has an true appreciation for Pearl Buck, but you gotta give the lady credit: she won the Pulitzer Prize and the Nobel Prize for Christ's sake.  It's kinda a big deal.  Today a woman came into the museum with her two children, and I was excited to teach them about Pearl and the house and all the over crap I talk about on the tour.  They had a different agenda.  The kids (old enough to understand rules, but just too dumb to follow them) kept going behind barriers, opening doors they weren't supposed to, touching freaking everything.  No, you can't sit on that couch.  No, you can't go in the attic.  No, you can't touch that dress.  Bad kids?  Whatever.  I can handle that.  I don't like kids anyways, so it doesn't bother me.  I expected the mom to be of some intelligence.  Wrong.  I love to tell people that Pearl has three museums in her honor: the birthplace, one in PA (where she lived when she moved back to the states), and her childhood home in China.  I think that's pretty cool.  Pearl was such a bad ass that she has three museums!  That's a big deal!  This woman though was quite confused. 
Ignorant tourist: "Well, what did she do?" 
Smart, beautiful, charming tour guide: "I'm sorry.  What do you mean?"
Tourist: "Why three museums?"
Guide: "Pearl was the first American woman to win both the Pulitzer Prize and the Nobel Prize."
Tourist: "Yeah, but I mean, what did she do?  Is that all?  She just won some awards and that's how she got famous?"
Guide: *to herself* Yes you moron!  She won the freaking Pulitzer and Nobel Prizes.  That's a big freaking deal, you ignorant moron!  I don't see you with any awards for anything you've written!  Try and win the freaking Nobel Prize.  Come on, do it!  Let's see how that goes.  *to tourist* "Well she also did a lot of humanitarian work, such as starting the first international, interracial adoption agency, as well as raising funds for Asian women who bore the children of American servicemen."
Tourist: "Oh, well, I guess that's important."
Like I said, some people are sent into our lives to just piss us off. 

In other news, I've been offered a real life, honest to goodness, adult job!  Okay, not really.  It's only AmeriCorps, so it's not a real adult job, but a job nonetheless!  It's a way of putting off the real world for a while, til next August to be exact.  Sure I could make more money being a substitute bus driver for the county school system or cleaning toilets at a hotel part time, but I think it's worth it.  It's another museum job and that's what I want to do.  I didn't have any idea that I would be applying to AmeriCorps, or that I would want to stay in West Virginia, but this position is exactly what I want to be doing right now.  I have yet to formally accept the position.   I need to talk with my current boss to figure out when I can leave Pearl Buck and move to Lewisburg, but it will be sometime in late September, early October.  Speaking of Lewisburg, did you know...
FACT
No it is a fact: Budget Travel magazine said so.

That's right.  I'm gonna be living in America's coolest small town.

No comments:

Post a Comment