Clifftop

Clifftop

Friday, July 29, 2011

vacation from my vacation life

I hadn't left West Virginia in two months.  Come to think of it, I hadn't left Pocahontas County in two months, other than going to Lewisburg and Richwood.  It was time for a break.  It was time for C-bus.
All three of my bros live in Columbus, Ohio.  Well Justin lives outside the city, but close enough.  As I was crossing the state line, I was a little bummed out.  I didn't think I would miss West Virginia, but I did.  I was excited to see my bros and see the city and see civilization and see new people, but at the same time, I felt that I was leaving part of me behind.
Enough of that.  Garrick made some ribs and they were freaking awesome.   Then we watched Conan the Barbarian.  And let me say, if you haven't seen it, freaking DO IT.  It will change your life.  Conan, what is best in life?


To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
Saturday, I went to the farmers market in Clintonville, which is just north of Ohio State campus.  It was pretty cool.  Much different than the Marlinton farmers market.
I visited a music shop, thinking I would buy a mandolin book if they had one.  They did, but the beginner books were for people who were beginning music altogether.  This is a musical note looks like.  Scales have eight notes.  This is what a treble clef is.  I don't need that crap.  I've had 7 years of clarinet and a bunch of years of piano.  I know what I'm doing.  They had some used mandolins for sale and they were pretty sweet.  Cheapest one was 80.  Next time I'm in C-bus, I'm getting it.  We went to another music store that seemed like it was more my style.



They had a pink mandolin.  No joke.  I could be Bluegrass Barbie for Halloween.

Saturday night Justin came over with his violin and tin whistle and we had the first official Ramsey jam session.  Justin on violin, Zachary on guitar, me on mandolin.  Garrick's guitar has a broken string, but I'm thinking he needs to pick up the banjo or the bass anyways.  The only thing we could play was Wagon Wheel, but it still sounded pretty sweet.  I was so excited about it, I couldn't keep from laughing while we were playing.  Afterwards, we walked to a bar called the Blue Danube, which everybody calls "The Dube."  Which reminds me of "The Dupe" for those of you who know what that is.  We got dinner and some brews there and then headed to O'Reileys, which is around the corner from my bro's apartment.  My bros are to this bar what I used to be to Walkers in Athens.  Turns out this bar blooooows.  They installed a new jukebox and this skank played 3 Justin Timberlake songs in a row and then searched for Black Eyed Peas.  Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy crappy music like that every once in a while.  But this is not that type of bar.  This is a bar like Walkers, or the bar on Cheers.  You aint there to dance and be skanky.  You're there to drink and hang out with the regulars.  I was highly disappointed by this bar.

Sunday we took Justin's sailboat out at Alum Creek.  I thought I was gonna be the 7th wheel.  Oh what fun! Hanging out with my bros and their significant others.  WOO!  I totally drove 6 hours to be reminded that I'm single!  Thankfully (although I admit, I was bummed out) my sister in law didn't come and one of the girlfriends only came for half the day.  It wasn't very windy, so no sailing, but we anchored the boat near the beach, and hung out for a couple hours.  Grilled some sausages, played some frisbee, tossed the football around, drank some brews, got sunburnt.  You know, the norm.  And for dinner, Mandy made some fancy ass meal in her fancy ass apartment.  It was as if I stepped into a Pottery Barn magazine.  I didn't want to touch anything.  It was like a cool hipster museum.  At first I wished my place looked like that.  But then I wouldn't be able to hang up my favorite poster.
I looked like him when I was 10.  Same buttcut hair.  Same gap tooth.

I stayed an extra day so I could hang out in civilization a bit longer, but everyone had to work on Monday, so I had to fend for myself.  I took Cody for a walk along the Olentangy River Trail and man was it different than the Greenbriar River Trail.  I'm used to saying hello to people on the trail, even striking up a convo, or at least smiling at the people who pass me, and everybody in return is friendly and pleasant back to me.  Well let me tell ya, the city's a bit different.  People literally scowled at me.  I said hello and people thought I was some weird homeless person who's gonna ask them for money.  Attention city folk: it's okay to smile.  I promise, it aint gonna hurt ya.  It was time to get out of the city.  So I headed to the 'burbs.  I hadn't seen my sister in law all weekend so I headed to Justin's house for dinner.  Their dog Luna was not a fan of Cody.  So much so that she ripped some of his hair out.  What a bitch.  Literally.

Tuesday I had planned to do some actual sight seeing.  Which is rare for me when I'm on a road trip.  I have the Ramsey mentality of driving as quickly as possible to reach my destination.  No stopping for lunch, if you have to pee you better hold it, and you only get gas when you absolutely have to.  So on the way back to WV I thought I'd try something new.  Leaving Justin's, I thought I'd find a coffee shop in my GPS.  It took me to the ghetto of Columbus.  No joke.  This place was called Urban Spirit Coffee.  I should have known that is would urban.  Needless to say, I kept driving.  I tried to find another one.  No luck.  Whatever.  F it.  No coffee or breakfast for me today.

I did find one thing I was looking for: I stopped at Hocking Hills State Park.  The bros told me that Old Man's Cave was super cool and it was not too far off 33, on the way to WV.  It was only 10:30 when I got there, but it was already really busy.  I had already had my fill of people for the weekend, especially these impolite city/Ohio folk, but I trucked on through and found what I was looking for.  Pictures cannot grasp who cool this place was.  If you are ever in or near southeast Ohio, go there.  Totally worth it.  I felt like Indiana Jones.  It was great.

 

After Old Man's Cave, I wanted to see Ohio University campus, located in Athens, Ohio.  I've heard great things about Athens.  I mean, with a name like Athens, it's gotta be good.  And it was!  Very cute little town.  Like Athens, GA, but about a quarter of the size.  I figured I could find a cool coffee shop there.  And I did.  The thing I couldn't find was a freaking parking spot.  PISSED.  By then it was 1 oclock and I hadn't eaten anything at all yet and I was irritable and hungry and cranky and I wanted to eat but stupid people and their stupid lives got in my way.  So I just kept driving.  After crossing the state line, I found a Wendy's and the girl charged me for a combo and I only got a sandwich.  PISSED.  Yes, I could have called her out and made her give me my money back or give me some fries, but at this point I was so hungry that Cody's dog treats looked appetizing.  So I paid $8 for a sandwich and a coke.  At this point, I realized how much I had missed the little third world country that is Hillsboro.  No fast food.  No stop lights.  No traffic.  Sounds like heaven.

You should check out Billy and Bethanne's blog.  They're pretty entertaining people.  Their blog has been sending me readers, so imma send them some.

No comments:

Post a Comment