Clifftop

Clifftop

Friday, June 24, 2011

stormin'

I'm missed the croquet tournament meeting on Tuesday because I was floating the river and it took way longer than expected.  And to reward me for my irresponsibility, and because I'm the intern and this is my job, I am putting together the sponsor booklet for the tournament.  I've never used Publisher before, and I have no idea even how to get it on my computer.  So this is gonna go really well.  I feel like most of the stuff that we're doing for the tournament, which is in two weeks, should have been done about a month ago.  So again, this is gonna go really well.

The Little Levels Heritage Fair starts today.  I can't believe June is almost over.  This month has flown by.  But the fair starts tomorrow and of course, just like everything else at PSBB, there is mass confusion and nothing is set in stone about what is happening and I don't even know when/where I'm working the next two days.  Very efficient.  I'm the kind of person that likes a plan, an itinerary, as basic concept of what is going down.  PSBB, being run by people from West Virginia, run on the idea that things will get done eventually if it really needs to be done.  Veeeery efficient.  But as much as I complain, I'm trying to go with the flow and just deal with the cards I've been dealt.  I mean, if it all goes up in flames, oh well.  I'll just move on to the next thing.

Last night I didn't go to the Motor Inn.  I needed a bit of a break, as did my liver.  But tonight there is much happening.  The schoolhouse is having a show (you might remember that the schoolhouse is the hipster Mecca of Pocahontas County) and Allegheny Echoes is having their masters' concert tonight as well.  And I'm sure they're gonna jam again afterwards at the Motor Inn.  (PS to Justin: there was a fiddle player Tuesday night.  He was pretty good, but not as impressive as the others, hence he got no mention.)  Tyler was kind enough to lend me his mandolin for the next week.
aint it purdy?

He gave me a scale to practice, but I don't think I'm playing it right.  The library must have a book for me.

With my parents coming Monday - Thursday, I have a whole week of activities planned.  And a lot is stuff I've never done before, so I'm pretty excited.  We're going to take the Cass Scenic Railroad and visit the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (the same piece of crap that makes cell reception impossible).  But I'm actually pretty pumped to see it and learn about science and stars and shit.  That's because I'm a dweeb and I fully embrace that.  If you're a dweeb like me, you might find this site interesting.

Yesterday a big storm came through.  During the day, it was the perfect summer shower.  No thunder or lightning.  Just light rain and the sun still shining.
Then at night the real storm came in.  Out of nowhere, rain began pounding on the trailer so hard that I just about jumped out of bed.  The lighting was so bright and so constant that lit up my bedroom like a strobe light.  Excuse me Mother Nature, but we could save the rave for another evening?  The wind was really strong as well, coming straight from my wind and smacking me in the face.  Needless to say, I didn't sleep much during the storm.

I gave two tours today.  Each group had children. The first group had a quiet girl and a super obnoxious boy.  The whole time I kept thinking about how much I hate children and how I wanted to shove a sock in this kids mouth to shut him up. I literally had to take a deep breath and calm myself down after every question, and here were about 13,000 questions.  The next group had about 5 kids, all boys ranging from ages 3 to 12.  I wen I saw them all I thought was "Oh shit.  I hate children."  But as it turned out they were really good kids.  A couple of them asked questions that were actually intelligent and all of them seemed attentive to my little speeches.  They actually reminded me of my three kid cousins, all boys who can be super rowdy but know when to settle down.  I was happy these kids showed up to restore my faith in children.  I hate children less because of these kids.

Now enough of that.  Here's some random photos!

This lil creeper was hanging out at PSBB.  I think I should convert the museum to a petting zoo.
 These next pictures were all taken from the same tree.  And each bloom is at a different stage and I think that's pretty cool.



I found a Pearl Buck quote that I really like: "To understand today, you must search yesterday."
I'm a history dork and all, but I think it's a good quote nonetheless.


No comments:

Post a Comment