Clifftop

Clifftop

Friday, June 10, 2011

"garbage disposal? I don't even know what that is"

Tuesday nights in Hillsboro, at a place called Granny's, some people get together and play bluegrass music.  The house is right down the road from my trailer and it's called Granny's because the guy who lives there inherited the house from his grandmother.  Cynthia and I went together, not knowing who would be there or if we would know anybody. As it turns out, we knew a majority of the people there.  There were 2 guitars, a banjo, a mandolin, and a standing bass, and about 15 spectators. I was a really fun time and I think that I will be attending many more Granny's nights.


I visited Richwood, WV.  That's where Cynthia lives.  She's an Americorps and works with the forestry service dealing with conservation.  The town is fairly big, but is definitely in a decline.  Apparently it was a happening spot during the 20's and 30's with mining and factories, but now it pretty much only has a lumber yard.  Their one claim to fame is that some guy won a gold medal at the 68 Olympics.  Cynthia and I went swimming in the Cherry River and the Cranberry River.  They were unbelievably cold, but it was in the 90s yesterday, so it was actually quite refreshing.  Some of her friends up there went swimming with us and then we cooked burgers at her place as her friends played bluegrass.  Everyone up here plays an instrument.  And everyone up here plays bluegrass.  I gotta get a banjo. 

We were sitting around the campfire talking about random stuff when someone mentioned getting a garbage disposal installed in their house finally.  One kid said "Garbage disposal?  I don't even know what that is."  I laughed so hard that I would even go to the extreme to say that I guffawed. 

I learned that the state fair is in Lewisburg, just 30 minutes south of here.  It's in August and I am pumped about it.  Just found out that Alice Cooper is the headliner.  You know you're career is at it's peak when you play at the West Virginia State Fair...

I also found out that the Hillsboro fair, Little Levels Heritage Fair, has canceled the rodeo.  Mega bummed.

This morning at work I carried a 40 pound bicycle from one house to the other.  It's a long walk.  I was sweating balls.  Then I saw a freaking groundhog in the backyard.  The same groundhog that caused thousands of dollars of damage to one of our barns last year.  I ran at him and yelled at him and I musta looked like a crazy person.  That's seems to be a common occurrence these days.

Tonight, I've been invited to dinner at Sue and Jay's.  Their daughter is in town from DC and some of their friends are coming over and we're gonna play croquet to start training for our tournament in July.  It's kind of nice that they invite me to dinner once a week.  Checking up on me, making sure I'm okay, making sure I stay outta trouble....

No comments:

Post a Comment