Clifftop

Clifftop

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Realizations and all that jazz

I have now lived in West Virginia a whole week!  Man, what an accomplishment.  I've started to get a little homesick, but I suppose that's because without cell service or internet, I don't have much connection with the outside world and I haven't socialized too much since I've been up here.  On the positive side, I am definitely diggin this area of West Virginia, known as the Little Levels.  The mountains are amazing and there are trails everywhere.  It reminds me a lot of Ohio.  Here, the fresh-cut grass smells like Ohio and when the breeze comes through the trees, it feels like Ohio.  Not to mention that my landlords remind me of an aunt and uncle in Ohio.  Other than those things, West Virginia is pretty Southern.  The natives (people who have lived here all their lives) have a bit of a southern drawl.  Everything moves a little slower in the service industry here - waitresses will get to you when they get to you, handymen show up when they can, if they want to, who knows when the grass is gonna get mowed.  It's a weird feeling when a place is both Southern and Northern.  I suppose that's why I like it here, because I'm both Southern and Northern.

I realized this morning that I have a lot more in common with Pearl Buck than I thought.  She was born in America, but moved to China as an infant.  She only came back to the US for short visits during the first 40 years of her life, after which she moved back permanently.  Growing up she didn't feel Chinese because of her blonde hair and unbound feet.  When she moved back to the US, she didn't feel quite American because her Chinese upbringing was totally different than that of an American upbringing.  She felt both Chinese and American, and at the same time she didn't feel a total connection to both "homes."  In this, I feel linked to Pearl.  I've lived half my life in Ohio and half in Georgia.  Even though I have strong connections to both, neither feels quite like home.  People ask me where I'm from and I say Georgia, but I don't have an accent because I grew up in Ohio. Or I say Ohio, but my parents live in Georgia and I went to school there.  I guess I always took for granted the concept of "home" and now I'm not quite sure what to think.

In other news, I have a pet.  It's a black snake that lives under my trailer.  I saw him the other day and in front of my eyes (I have the best timing ever) he shed his skin.  So now I have a 3 foot long snake skin on my back porch.  I think it's awesome, but that's because I'm weird and I'm a tomboy and kind of like snakes.  Sue told me that once they had a snake inside their house, living in the cupboards in the kitchen.  That I would NOT be okay with.  I have many other pets at the trailer.  Wasps, spiders, flies, bees, anything and everything that crawls and is creepy.  Yesterday alone I killed seven wasps and two spiders.  I get a weird high when I kill bugs - after smashing an insect into gooey pieces, I fell like I can take on the world.  I feel bad for Meghan and Viviana because their heroic bug killer no longer lives with them.  (hint: I was their heroic bug killer).

Two of my brothers are coming to visit this weekend for Memorial Day.  I believe we'll be doing some hiking in the Cranberry Wilderness.  Maybe we'll come across a bear or two.  I'm pretty excited to see them and explore more of the area.

Work has been really sloooooow.  Three people came to visit on Saturday.  It bums me out that people don't know about this place, or even who Pearl is.  If you would have asked me a month ago who she was, I wouldn't have been able to tell you.  I love the fact that I'm constantly learning: about Pearl and her family and Chinese culture.  Things I never thought I would want, or need, to learn about I now can't stop reading about.

1 comment:

  1. I've always had the same problem when meeting new people: Am i from Georgia? If so, where in Georgia--Albany or Athens? Florida, because I spent 10 years there? Pennsylvania, because that's where I was born, and where most of my family is from? Yeah... usually I just try to keep it interesting by telling different people different places. That way you stay mysterious... or something.
    As far as the bugs and snakes go.......ICKK!! I don't think you'll want me visiting you until your pet is dead. I applaud you on all of the bug-killing, though. Sounds like they're keeping you busy.
    On this end, (although of course we miss you), the bugs haven't really been an issue lately. We've had some ants in the kitchen, but that's about it. Lucky.
    Anyways, miss you lots. I know moving to a new place and starting a new job isn't easy, but sounds like you're making the best of it! Keep in touch when you can!

    ReplyDelete