Clifftop

Clifftop

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Hipsters

I wasn't sure how often I wanted to update this thing, but with little contact to the outside world, due to me being in a third world country, I thought what the hell and I decided to write again.  My first day on the job went pretty well.  I got a more detailed tour of the house and went on the "official" tour with Tim and some visitors.  I feel like I know a lot more about the house now, but not quite enough to give my own tour.  Tim told me that I kind of have free reign over what I want to do.  A couple of days a week, I'll be giving tours.  But with about 8 visitors a day, I won't be too busy with that.  On top of tours, Tim wants me to help spruce up the place.  Which means I get to organize and create my own displays in different rooms to highlight pretty much whatever I want.  You should be jealous.  I got to poke around in all the rooms, look in drawers, open things that visitors can't.  I got to go into the attic and for a moment I thought I was gonna be locked up there and eaten by some weird creature.  I watch to many horror movies.  As it turns out, there are a million hats in the house.  Hats from the time period, replicas, fugly hats, donated hats.  So I'm pretty sure I'll be doing a hat thing at some point.  Another idea is to highlight the community and showcase Hillsboro and the surrounding land through the years.  We have in our possession the first telephone that ever came to Hillsboro (the man was so excited by the telephone that when he bought it he forgot that someone else has to have a telephone for it to actually work) and also one of the first chain stitch sewing machines (don't worry, I don't know what that means either) but it was invented by a guy from Mill Point, WV.  We also have an absurd amount of documents saved from the beginning of the museum in the 70s and it's kind of a mess, so I'll be working on organizing the office and whatnot. Apparently Tim called my college professor and she told him that I don't need much guidance and like to do things on my own.  So he told me I get to do pretty much whatever I want (hence I'm writing this at work).
Here's your freaking enter button, Justin.
Before work yesterday, I went to the library (voted the best rural library in 2003 - not kidding) to get a card so I can start getting books and whatever and Sue was there and introduced me to the librarian Ginger, and her Americorps VISTA volunteer MeriBeth.  They were both super friendly and helpful and invited me to a bunch of community events happening over the next week.  So I have a lot to read and a lot to do.  Then yesterday after work, I went to the Greenbriar River Trail, which follows where the old railroad went along the Greenbriar.  It's really pretty and maybe it'll encourage me to start running.  Then I checked my email to find that another VISTA girl, Emily who had worked for the museum before me, invited me to a party at her house in Marlinton.  I show up and.....hipsters.  Somehow, I have no idea how, but the hipsters found me.  Then I realized that they were all VISTA kids, meaning they had at least a 4 year degree and were probably well-to-do and were interested in helping the poor and living in the mountains.  So of course there would be hipsters here.  They seem more like hippie hipsters than stick-up-their-ass, I'm-better-than-you, obscure music loving hipsters.  Although they were confused when I said I wasn't a VISTA volunteer.  They didn't think it was possible to be just an intern.  Whatevs.  They invited me to a bunch of stuff around the area, so I approve of these hipsters.
 More carpet woes.  The new carpet came and it was damaged too.  So the carpet guy said he has enough to do my bedroom and then he'll try to piece together the rest of the two damaged carpets to finish the other bedroom and the living room.  At this point, I don't care about the smoke smell, I just want to move in!  Tim said they found me a bed somewhere and he'll try to deliver it today.  Then he asked if I wanted a dresser, to which I responded sure if there was one available, if not no problem.  To which he responded, I can take one out the the museum.  lol  Not all the furniture is authentic of course, so I can take a donated one if I wanted.  awesome.
Well, fudge, I rambled again.  My apologies. I just thought some of this was funny and since I can't call anyone to tell them my stories, you gonna have to read em.

1 comment:

  1. I kept trying to click "Like" at the end of a bunch of sentences like they were FB stati. How lame is that?

    Anyways, I'm happy to hear you're mostly enjoying yourself. Go hippies! :)

    ReplyDelete