Clifftop

Clifftop

Friday, March 2, 2012

Franco part 2, Revenge of the Awkward Ticket Girl

So after shooting the carnival scene, there were fireworks.  Not just for the hell of it, but as a part of the carnival scene.  And again we had to shoot that 3 or four times.  So we had to stand around all awkwardly "ooh"ing and "aah"ing at all the pretty colors.  Then was the firework finale that lasted entirely too long, but in all honesty, can you have too many fireworks.  Hint: the answer is no.  After the magical fireworks, they announced that it was a wrap.  All extras were free to go.  We should go back to the base, get changed, eat some food, and get on our ways.  At this point, it was closing in on midnight, and after having stood in the near freezing cold since dark, I was thinking maybe I should go home.  Or at least to the pub.  Then they made a second announcement.  There would be one more scene of the carnival and extras that were willing to stay were welcome to.  Well what's a girl to do?  Put on warm clothes, go to the pub and have a nice cold brew, and then go home to bed at a reasonable hour?  Oh pish posh.  Imma stay and film the next scene in the freezing cold until 2 AM and then go to a party afterwards and hang out til 5.  duh.

I hadn't completely decided on staying when the local casting guy walked by with a clip board toting intern.  He pointed at me, said "her," and conferred with the kid.  Did Franco call for another awkward encounter with the ticket girl?  Were they mad that I stashed a couple of oranges in my purse?  Were they hand picking me to be in the next scene?  Ding ding ding!  Correct!  They asked if I was willing to stay for the next scene and I answered with a polite and composed "Hell yeah!" (Honestly, you can't take me anywhere.)  So as people were slowing finishing their meals and changing back into their everyday clothes, I sat there reading a book, waiting to be called to go back down to the set.  Franco had chosen to eat at the table behind me and everyone was going up to him to get pictures and autographs.  One lady was so desperate for an autograph that she handed him a paper plate to sign.  Oh mountain people, you never cease to amaze me in all the ways that you don't understand how to interact with society.  For awhile, I contemplated the idea of going up to Franco and introducing myself, so that he could put a real name with the face of the ticket girl.  But I didn't want to be that kinda of girl.  I mean, I've met celebrities before.  Jimmy Carter....that guy from Bizarre Foods....the singer from some Athens band.... Okay, I didn't actually meet the guys from Bizarre Foods, but I sold him a tshirt.  Good enough.  With Franco, I knew I was just gonna stammer and say something stupid, and as much as I wanted a picture with him, I decided to play it cool.  I'd talk to him after the scene.

After about an hour to waiting around, they finally called us back to the set.  This scene was of the main character at a shooting gallery at the carnival, showing off how good he is at shooting things.  They needed background actors to hang out and make it look like people actually went to rural hicktown carnivals.  As we're setting up the shot, I catch Franco again staring at me.  Well I told myself, I wasn't going to act like an idiot this time!  As I'm standing there shivering in my thin dress and tiny cardigan, with Franco in a beanie and warm jacket looking like he's "cold," I ask him all nonchalantly "Ya cold?"  He pauses, "Yep."  For some reason, I have this idea in my head that I'm funny.  I think that I can make people laugh or at least smile sometimes.  And for some reason, this notion popped into my head right at this moment.  So I responded by saying "At least you're not in a dress."  Crickets.  Now it may have been my imagination but I believe a hush fell over the production crew and all of their heads slowly turned to face me.  I swear even one guy was shaking his head and looking down at his feet as if I had just insulted the pope.  Franco just stared at me for an uncomfortable amount of time before turning around and doing whatever a director does.  I'm not sure if what I said was offensive to him in some way.  I later googled his stint as Oscar host last year and found out he had worn a dress at one point:
He does not make a pretty lady.  Thankfully, he makes up for that by being extremely handsome.
 But I sure as hell knew that what I said was not in any way funny.  We shot the scene a couple more times and then they asked all the background people to go.  They had to film some close ups of the main character shooting, so there was no need for extras anymore.  That was it.  I could go home.  No meeting Franco.  No trying to make up for two really weird encounters.  No introducing myself, or shaking his hand, or getting a picture.  Nothing.  It was 2am.  35 degrees.  They let me keep the balloons that I carried in the scene.  But I didn't get to keep my dignity.  Instead Franco will probably never remember me, and if he does, I'll be that weird ticket girl that had a mild stroke when he tried to talk to me and that offended him with a comment about a dress.

Whatever.  First impressions are overrated anyways.
For some behind the scenes pictures and videos of the movie, check this out.  It's Franco's website and he takes all these "artsy" photos and whatnot.  After sifting through some of the silly hipster crap he does, there's actually some cool things on there.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment