Clifftop

Clifftop

Thursday, February 16, 2012

I could join the circus...oh and James Franco

Most of my experiences in West Virginia have been about immersing myself into the Appalachian culture.  Recently, I’ve been trying something different.

Lewisburg is the big town of the area.   People literally say they’re “going to town” when they talk about traveling to Lewisburg.  It also helps that it is a huge cultural mecca for art of all kinds.  There are countless art galleries, Carnegie Hall, handmade jewelry shops, you name it.  The culture that is highlighted in Lewisburg isn’t quite the Appalachian culture, but rather that of an urban setting.  It’s hard to describe to people who haven’t been here.  Anyways, like I said I wanted to try some new things.  There’s a yoga studio downtown and I know people who taken classes there.  Let me just start by saying I am not a yoga fan.  I’ve tried it before and I just couldn’t handle it.  Focus on my breathing?  Mind, body, soul merged together?  Sounds stupid.  I just want some kind of exercise that will make me feel good by the end of it. 

EmNewt, the Emily that took my rock climbing, suggested I come to a yoga class with her.  My rock climbing experience with her was nothing short of magical.  It was something I never thought I would do, let alone really like.  I was forced to trust her with my life, and it’s really changed the dynamic of our friendship.  So when she said I should go to this class with her, I had to trust her and just go. 

It happened to be an acrobatic yoga class. 

Did I mention that EmNewt went to clown school instead of college?  No joke.

If you’re like 99.7% of the world and you don’t know what acroyoga is, let me explain before you watch the video.  Partner yoga + trapeze artists + a bit of ballet = what the hell does that even mean.  Let me show you:


Prepare to have you mind blown.






Next mind blowing subject:



Everybody knows who James Franco is.  He's in like every movie and every tv show ever.  He's an actor/director/student/performing arts loving hipster dude.  You know how most actors start in soap operas?  He's in one right now and he's at the top of his career.  This dude does whatever he wants.  Including filming a movie in Lewisburg West Virginia.  But not just any movie.  One that focuses on necrophilia and pedophilia.  It's called Child of God and it's based on a Cormac McCarthy novel.  For those of you unfamiliar with that author, he wrote other books that have turned into movies: The Road and No Country for Old Men. 

So Franco's in town.  They need extras for the movie.  I email them a bunch over the course of the last month.  Nothing.  No response.  No Franco sightings.  I would love to spot the elusive Franco in his natural habitat.  But alas, it's not to be.  Apparently he doesn't drink, smoke, or leave his room ever.  He sits around reading all the time.  Don't get me wrong, I love a good book.  But I also love a good beer and being an active member of society. 

So I didn't get to meet Franco.  I didn't even get to see him.  I think the film crew is only in town for another week or so and then it'll all be over.  It'll all be over and still the only celebrity I've ever met is Jimmy Carter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment