Clifftop

Clifftop

Thursday, September 22, 2011

norwegia

Lots has been going on.  I'm so busy, I haven't had time to breathe let alone write up a blog post.  I'm even too busy right now to tell you all the things I've been doing.  My birthday was awesome.  Friday night was spent in Lewisburg for First Friday.  Every first Friday of the month, downtown L-burg has a big party with art shows and live music and meal deals and such.  I went down with some of the boys because they had a gig at a bar.
That's right - they had an actual performance in front of an audience.  I have some pictures that don't do justice to the experience.  When I have a better internet connection, I'll post them.  Through the Tent City boys, I met some girls that live in Lewisburg.  And they rock.  I'm so excited that when I move down there, I'll actually know people and have people to hang out with, rather than wishing I were in PoCo. 


Justin, Garrick, Karen, Zachary, Mandy, and Rachel all came to visit on Saturday.  Before they got here, I was able to visit the Little Levels Clothing Center and I bought a crap ton of clothes.  And everything was 25 cents.  Okay, not everything was 25 cents.  Everything individually was 25 cents.  But still 25 CENTS!  Ridiculous.  The afternoon was kind of wasted as people slowly started coming and we had to wait for the others.  But once everyone got there, we went to the Pretty Penny for dinner and it was delicious.  I mean, it's normally good, but it seemed especially good on Saturday.  And there was live music - Shawn Owen. - he played acoustic guitar and he rocked it.  He just did covers, but he was awesome nonetheless.  We had planned on going to the Pocahontas Opera House to see the Black Mountain Bluegrass Boys, but we were running late and didn't want to rush up there to hear only 30 mins of music and then have to drive all the way back to Hillsboro.  So we stayed and listened to Shawn and I believe everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves.  After dinner, we scooted home for some DQ ice cream (that's still in my freezer and I am so excited to get home and devour it!) and gift giving.  The boys got together and got me my own mandolin!  WOOT!  It's not even used.  Brand new.  My own mandolin!  Soo much better than the one I've been playing all summer.  And they got me a couple of books, so I can actually teach myself things instead of just fooling around trying to figure things out. 

Sunday, we cooked an awesome breakfast and geared up for a hike.  We went on the High Rocks Trail, the same trail I took my parents and Billy and Bethanne on.  It's a fairly simple trail with an awesome ending view of the Little Levels valley.  It was pretty hot and humid, but a pretty day.  It didn't look like the weather would be too bad for the pond party we were planning on going to that evening.  But oh how we were wrong.  We picked up some food and headed to Tent City.  Just as we pull in, the boys are all pulling out - perfect timing.  So we followed them over to the Pond Party.  Again, perfect timing, just as we unloaded out things, it started pouring down rain.  So the Pond Party became the Lodge Party.  People playing pool, people jamming in the dining room, people eating bear....yep.  More bear.  Bear stew, bear jerky, slow cooked bear, delicious, juicy, amazingly awesome BEAR.  That was prolly the highlight of the evening.  That, and the giggle berries.  What?  You've never heard of giggle berries?  Of course you haven't: you live in society and don't eat things like bear and giggle berries.  The giggle berries were a gift from Corey.  He was supposed to find me moonshine, but alas he could not.  Instead he brought giggle berries (which is such a fun combination of words).  Giggle berry (noun): A small piece a fruit, usually a grape, strawberry, or small peach, soaked for a ridiculous amount of time in moonshine.  It's better than moonshine in the fact that it doesn't taste like moonshine (which tastes like rubbing alcohol), but instead tastes like the fruit with just an after taste of gasoline.

Everyone left the next morning to go home and live their lives.  And I got to leave too, except I had a 7 hour drive to Greenville, SC.  I stopped at Billy and Bethanne's on the way down home.  12 hours of driving just didn't seem like a good idea after a night of giggle berries.  Those two kids are really awesome.  And if you haven't met them, you need to.  Good people.  The next morning Bethanne and I went to the Goodwill Clearance Center.  You read that right: Goodwill Clearance Center.  America's favorite thrift store has a clearance center for all the crap they couldn't sell in their regular crappy stores.  So of course I wanted to go.  And it was awesome.  Things didn't have prices - everything was $1.19 a pound.  PER POUND.  WHAT?!  Goodwill just reached a new level of awesome.  So I got $9 worth of stuff.  You do the math.

Then on to southwest Georgia.  Nothing much happened in Leesburg.  Same old same old.  But calm down, Mom.  I had a good time.  Nice to be home after being on another planet for a couple months.  The first night I got there, I was playing with Cody on the living room floor.  Good ole Mary Lou asks "Ummm, Megan.  Are you gonna....wash your hair sometime?"  No Mom.  Haven't you heard?  I'm a mountain hippie now.  Bathing is against my religion. 

Before returning to the promised land of WV, I visited my second favorite place in the world: Athens.
It was kind of a blur, for several reasons, so I'll just give you the highlights.
Set off my old roommates home security system and drove away as fast as I could, partied at my favorite bar - Walker's and got to hang out with a hot dude that doesn't live in a tent, saw some of my favorite girls in the world, tailgated for the football game and played my mandolin for everybody.

End of the trip home.  Prolly won't get back down south til Christmas.  Maybe Athens in November.

PS.  I forgot to mention that more family came to visit in July, or was it August?  I can't even remember anymore.  But we had a great time.  Showed them Beartown and Cranberry Glades of course.  They came and ate at Watoga while I was working and we hung out in Lewisburg a little bit.  By the way, Lewisburg is definitely not America's Coolest Small Town when you are looking to eat on a Monday night.  Every restaurant is closed.  Stupid.  Another stupid thing: my cousin Sydney thinks there is a place in the world called Norwegia.  Not Norway - Norwegia.  But I guess I'll let that slide.  She's only 9 years old. 

Tune in next time when I tell you my adventures in AmeriCorps training in Elkins, WV and starting my new job at the North House Museum and the City of Lewisburg!

And just to give you a little taste, here's a picture...

Who's got two thumbs and has not only a huge office, but one with a view?

No comments:

Post a Comment