Clifftop

Clifftop

Friday, November 4, 2011

hula hoops and dance class

The results are in - 87% of you want me to keep the blog, and the other 13% wants me to only write interesting things.  Well sorry 13%, but I'm going to write about boring monotonous things just because you voted incorrectly.
Since getting back from the hurricane in Florida, I've been non stop busy.  It's really November?  Seriously?  bleh I'm getting old....
When I flew back to WV from Florida, I got to the Charleston airport around 9.  As it was, I had tobe in Charleston the next two days for AmeriCorps training and swearing-in.  I wasn't about to drive two hours back to Lewisburg just to drive back in the morning. So what did I do?  What would anyone do in this situation?  I drove to the nearest rest stop and slept in my car of course.  And that my friends is why you should own a van or station wagon.  Camrys are not conducive to a restful night's sleep.  (And yes Mom, I lied to you about where I was sleeping because I knew you'd worry and freak out.  Oh well.  Get over it.)

The next two days were a blur of silly training exercises and so called inspirational speakers.  "Alright everybody, get into groups of people you don't know and stand in a circle of ten people.  Here's a hula hoop.  Everybody point your two index fingers straight out in front of you.  Everybody's fingers have to be touching the hula hoop at all times.  Now you have to lower the hula hoop to the ground, keeping it parallel to the ground the whole time.  You have to work together to do this.  No one can move faster or slower than anyone else.  Communicate.  Listen.  Work together."  What am I, in kindergarten?!  Give me something to do that I can actually apply to my job.  That's some real hard core "leadership" training alright.  Glad I had to leave my real job to do this nonsense.  But for real, I like AmeriCorps.  It's great.  You should join.
Unfortunately because of this training, I was unable to make it to a good friend's wedding in Atlanta.  I'm sure Elyse was a beautiful bride and I wish her and her husband Nathan all the happiness that life can offer. 

I had a full week of work after having the week off for rain and leadership.  But I had something to look forward to - Halloween weekend.  Carnegie Hall showed The Rockey Horror Picture Show, the community came out in drag, and the audience participation was top notch.  If you haven't seen this movie in a theater, I highly recommend it.  Unless you're freaked out my dudes in lace panties and platform heels, in which case you probably shouldn't watch Rocky Horror anyways. 
Saturday night, Pretty Penny in Hillsboro was having a Thriller themed Halloween party.  I could have gone as a zombie, but I had already decided on my costume: Liz Lemon.  If you don't know who that is, it's the greatest TV character of all time.  It's Tina Fey on 30 Rock.  It's also Tina Fey in real life.  It's also me in real life.  I could watch these videos all day.
this is what my costume consisted of: jeans, tennis shoes, sweater, eating a lot, being awkward around people I don't know, being awkward around people I do know, making fun of everything around me, being mean to people and not even realizing it, eating, dancing awkwardly, eating, and eating. 
Nobody knew who I was.  Partly because no one around here has basic cable and partly because they thought I was just being myself.  Basically it was the best Halloween costume of all time.  Slutty nurse?  psh Slutty witch?  psh Slutty anything?  psh  Imma be Liz Lemon always and forever.

So Halloween came and went, but it was time to get back to reality.  In my reality, I went to my first Hip Hop class.  And I freakin rocked it.  It was so much fun and I didn't look too terribly awkward, but only because there were some middle aged women in there that kinda took over in the awkward department.  But you know what, props to them for getting out there and shaking what their mother's gave them.  (I sincerely hope you read that in the whitest voice you could think of.)
Not only did I join a hip hop class, but I finally, finally FINALLY joined a ballet class.  I haven't taken a ballet class in four and a half years, until last night.  And oh my goodness it was amazing.  I felt terrible and unbalanced and unflexible, but it was the most amazing feeling to get back into ballet after being gone for so long.  This class is considered the adult ballet class, but I'm the oldest person in the class.  The rest are all in high school, and some of them just started learning ballet this year, after having just had modern classes.  So it's not quite what I expected, and I know it will never challenge my technique, but I think it's better this way.  It's taking me back to the basics.  I need to sort of start over and ease myself back into it.  Ballet is tough on your body and your mind, so I should focus on taking it slow.  The kids kind of marveled at my turns (which, I'm not gonna lie, I'm freaking awesome at), but I told them practice makes perfect and you'll get there and I've been dancing longer than you've been alive.   Ugh I'm old.  Seriously - a decade and a half of dancing.  SO OLD.

No comments:

Post a Comment